Information for Men

Violence and abuse can be experienced by men and perpetrated by women. This is just as unacceptable as violence perpetrated by men against women. Men can also be abused by male partners in same-sex relationships.

If you are in immediate danger phone the police on 999

Men experiencing domestic abuse, either from a male of female partner, may have different needs and want different services from women. This section tells you more about services that are available to support you if you are a man experiencing domestic abuse or other forms of violence.

They are free and open to all men. They will believe what you say and provide you with the support that you need.

Click on the links below for more information about:

If you are affected by any form of abuse there are many services which can help you.

There are also laws which can protect you and deal with the person abusing you.

The following agencies In Dundee can support you and any children involved. They tell you about your rights, for example to help with the law or housing or welfare benefits. They can also tell you about other help on offer.

Services for Men

Men’s Advice Line

This is a confidential helpline for any man experiencing domestic violence and abuse from a partner (ex-partner). The Advice Line offers practical advice, information and emotional support to male victims of domestic violence, as well as to concerned friends and family. They aim to increase safety of men experiencing domestic violence and help them to reduce risk.

Monday-Friday 9am-5pm

Freephone: 0808 801 0327 (free from landlines and from mobiles using the O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Three (3). Virgin and Vodafone networks)


Further information is available at


Victim Support

Victim Support provides free and confidential emotional and practical assistance and information about the criminal justice process. Victim Support operate a local service in Dundee.

Monday –Friday 10am-4pm

Telephone: 01382 305707


Men can refer themselves via the Victim Support website: Victim Suport Referral


Dundee City Council, Social Work Department

The First Contact Team within the Social Work Department deals with requests and assistance from anyone age 16 or over who requires a service, including men experiencing violence and abuse. They work with colleagues from across a range of Council and external services to provide support and information.

Monday to Friday 9am-5pm

Telephone: 01382 434019


For more information about out-of-hours Social Work services please visit

What will Social Work Services do if I report the abuse / violence?

Social Work Services want to work with you to make sure that any child or young person in your family is safe. Their priority is the protection of children and young people.

Social Work Services aim is to offer you and your family support to help you to cope with the violence / abuse that you are experiencing. They know that lots of children and young people are in households where violence / abuse occur and want to prevent harm. They will consider all the information they have about you and your family and consider all of the options available (which may include child protection procedures if there is significant risk to your children). They might also decide to pass the information on to a group of professionals to help decide what to do next.


Police Scotland, Domestic Abuse Officers and Sexual Offences Liaison Officers

There are specialist police officers who are trained to work with anyone affected by abuse.

Police Scotland Domestic Abuse Officer: 101

Police Scotland Sexual Offences Liaison Officer: 101


Click here to see more about Dundee’s adult support and protection services.


What will the police do if I report the abuse / violence?

The police will carry out a full investigation about the incident that you have reported. They will want to talk with you and anyone else who might have witnessed, or have information about, the incident. The police will also want to talk to the person who has been accused of perpetrating the abuse / violence. They will record all of the evidence and information that they find.

When the police respond to an incident, they will ask you if any children or young people are part of the family. If they are, the police officer will complete a form about what has happened. If there is enough concern about the child or young person, the information will be given to a group of professionals (drawn from the police, health, social work, education, housing and the voluntary sector) to consider. The aim of this group is to make sure children and young people are safe and to consider whether there are any supports that might help the child, young person, parent or carer. If the group considers your child, then you might receive a letter telling you about what it has decided. Find out more about this group

Whether or not any further action can be taken against the perpetrator depends on the evidence available. If there is enough evidence, the police can report the incident to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS). COPFS will look at all the evidence and decide whether or not the perpetrator should be prosecuted.

The police will also contact you to offer you further information and support. This will normally be special officers called Domestic Abuse Liaison Officers or Sexual Offences Liaison Officers. These officers can also help you to contact local support services.


Your Rights

If you are affected by violence and abuse, you have rights to protection and to safety.

Safe housing

You have the right to be safe wherever you live. You may need help to stay safe in your own home or to move to somewhere else, in the short or longer term. For more information you can contact the freephone Homelessness Advice Line 0800 633 5843, 24 hours a day.

More information and numbers at


The law

You may be able to use the law to help protect you. You may need a solicitor to help with this. It is best to find a solicitor who is experienced in working with those affected by abuse. Victim Support can tell you about local solicitors who can help you. You can also contact:

Dundee North Law Centre: 01382 307230

Citizens Advice Bureau: 01382 307494 (Wellgate Centre) and 01382 622793 (Charleston)

Sexual violence : see Scottish Government information


Health services

Physical, sexual and emotional abuse can affect short and long-term physical and mental health. If you need immediate treatment go to Accident and Emergency at Ninewells Hospital. For other health issues, you can speak to your family doctor (GP) or any other health worker you are in contact with such as a health visitor. Health workers in Dundee are trained to work with those who are affected by any kind of abuse. Some services always ask about abuse (in the same way that they ask about smoking). You can also speak to NHS 24 any time: 08454 24 24 24 if you think you need to be seen by a doctor or want to ask for advice (see also


Other Useful Contacts