Immediate Safety

Domestic Abuse:

If you're experiencing domestic abuse (or have witnessed it) and are worried about your safety or the safety of a child, you can report it by:

Calling 999 or 101, contacting your local police station or visiting a remote reporting site filling in a Police Scotland online domestic abuse form.

What happens after reporting domestic abuse:

The police will help and protect you when you report domestic abuse. This includes:

Putting you in touch with a specially-trained domestic abuse officer and with support agencies helping you feel safe – by taking you to a safe place like a refuge, or taking steps to make your own home secure and getting you medical treatment if you're injured.

For more information see link 

Alternatively you can contact:

The Men’s Advice Line 0808 801 0327

Open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.

See link for more information 

Sexual Assault:

If possible, have any injuries treated by your doctor or at a hospital.

You can visit the Tayside Sexual & Reproductive Health Service at Ninewells Hospital (01382 425542) and Angus Sexual & Reproductive Health Clinic (01382 425 542) offers fully confidential treatment. You do not need a letter from your doctor. You need to return for the results. You do not have to tell them you have been assaulted. You don’t have to give the clinic your real name.

If you want to report what has happened contact the Police. If you require a forensic examination, this will be organised for you at the specialist centre, otherwise you will be taken to your local police station where your statement would be taken. You may want to take a trusted friend, family member or partner with you.

If you do not report the incident you could be supported to access the Sexual Assault Referral Network (SARN).

The Sexual Assault Referral Network (SARN) in Tayside has extended its opening hours to support people who have been raped or sexually assaulted.

The SARN offers a self-referral service to people who have been raped or sexually assaulted but do not want to report it to the Police. To provide support, the network has extended its opening hours and has now set up a dedicated phone-line which is available every day until midnight.

The dedicated phone line - 0300 365 2001 - allows people to directly contact a Rape Crisis Helpline worker who will offer initial support and contact to the Forensic and Custody Nurses in Tayside.

Callers are offered support, access to health services, such as emergency contraception and screening for sexually transmitted infections. They are also offered the option of the collection and storage of forensic evidence, should they decide to report to the police at a later time.

This is available to you if you are 16 years old or over and have been raped or sexually assaulted within the last 7 days.

WRASAC advocacy service is also available to you with the criminal justice process  (from reporting to police to attending court) and access to Sexual Assault Referral Network

If you think you are being stalked or are suffering harassment, please report your concerns to Police Scotland at your local police station, via 101, online or via 999 if it is an emergency. 

You can access the online stalking form to report an incident of stalking that has occurred within Scotland.

Practical Safety Advice:

  • Report it to the police
  • Do not interact with the person stalking you.                                                            
  • Take a mobile telephone with you when you go out.
  • Have your keys ready for when you reach your front door
  • Consider fitting a home alarm system or carrying a personal attack alarm
  • Make your online life more secure by changing your passwords regularly, heighten your privacy settings and do not share personal information with a stranger
  • Activate a pin or password on your mobile devices
  • Turn off GPS and locating tagging on your mobile devices 
  • If you become aware that you are being followed, make your way to a public place, commercial premises (such as a retail shop) or your nearest police station
Local Support

DAYS - This service is offered to you if you are a young survivor, of any gender and you are aged from 11 to 18 living in Dundee. We offer confidential, professional support if you have experienced any type of sexual violence. Sexual violence or abuse includes any sexual act which you did not want or has left you with difficult feelings. It can include rape, sexual assault, sexual abuse, child sexual exploitation, sexual bullying, grooming, and sexting, amongst other things.

Multi agency Independent Advocacy - The MIA Service provides a crisis intervention and advocacy service if you are experiencing domestic abuse and will help you and your family to minimise future risks of harm. They will ensure that when you exit this service, you can continue to be supported by relevant agencies.

The MIA worker will:

  • Complete a risk assessment with you
  • Provide a safety plan
  • Signpost you to relevant services
  • Liaise with agencies on your behalf
  • Attend MARAC on your behalf to ensure your voice is at the centre of the meeting

Mens Advice Line

Our friendly Men’s Advice Line Advisors will believe you, offer you non-judgmental emotional support, practical advice and information.

Opening hours

Monday: 9am – 8pm
Tuesday: 9am – 5pm
Wednesday: 9am – 8pm
Thursday: 9am – 5pm
Friday: 9am – 5pm

0808 8010327


If you have decided that you want to leave, staff at the Dundee Housing Options Service can give you practical help and advice.

The Housing Options Service is based at the East District Housing Office, 169 Pitkerro Road, Dundee DD4 8ES. Buses that pass near to the Office are the 15 and 17.

You can call the Homelessness Advice Line 0800 633 5843 or 01382 432001, 24 hours a day.

The Housing Options Service can:

  • Provide you in safe secure temporary accommodation                                         
  • Give you advice about your housing options and your rights                                   
  • Refer you to Dundee Women’s Aid                                                                       
  • Help you to contact Housing Associations and private landlord

Information from Dundee City Council Housing Options Service

Action for Children Youth Housing:

Dundee Youth Housing Service provides supported accommodation to young people who are homeless. The service is provided to young people aged between 16 and 21 who require support to enable them to establish and maintain their own home.

In this project, support is focused on helping young people to develop the practical skills and emotional resilience to enable them to make a positive transition into living independently.

The aims of the service include:

  • To provide housing support to young people aged 16 to 21 who are homeless or are likely to become homeless.
  • To undertake assessments and identify the needs of young people to enable Dundee Youth Housing Service to provide support and respond to a range of diverse needs irrespective of ability.
  • To work in partnership with a range of agencies to meet the housing needs of the young person.
  • To provide a service that will meet the needs of young people from a diverse background.
  • To provide a holistic package of support.

Citizens advice
In some cases you might not feel able to contact a specialist domestic abuse service or it may be easier to talk to an adviser at your local Citizens Advice Bureau first. This might be the case if you're already going to speak about your benefits or housing, for example. 

Financial advice:

Local advice can be found at:

Dundee City Council Advice Services – Welfare Rights
Tel:                 01382 431188 (Adviceline Monday to Friday 9.30am – 4.30pm)

Brooksbank Centre
Address:        Pitarlie Road, Dundee, DD4 8DB
Tel:                 01382 432450

Dundee North Law Centre
Address:        101 Whitfield Dr, Dundee, Angus DD4 0DX
Tel:                 01382 307230

Crisis Grants can provide you with a safety net in the event of a disaster or emergency. Community Care Grants can help you to leave care and live on your own, or to continue living in your own home.

The CONNECT Team are part of Council Advice Services (CAS) and give assistance to anyone requiring help with income maximisation, Benefit form filling, benefit problems and budgeting.

Other useful links


Men’s Shed – many locations for men to socialise

MeetUp – a range of social groups in and around Dundee

Shelter can advise on how to tackle the housing and homelessness issues connected to domestic violence and abuse: how to find yourself somewhere new to live if you need to leave your home, what to do if you become homeless as a result of domestic abuse and how to exclude the abusive partner from your home. It also contains links to organisations and things such as domestic abuse helplines that can help you.